Animal Biotechnology definition
The term "animal biotechnology" is an extension of the definition of biotechnology. This term may include, but is not limited to, the following categories of animals:
- Genetically engineered or modified animals in which genetic material has been added, deleted, silenced or altered to influence expression of genes and traits.
- Clones of animals derived by nuclear transfer from embryonic and somatic cells.
- Chimeric animals that have received transplanted cells from another animal.
- Interspecies hybrids produced by any methods employing biotechnology.
- Animals derived by in vitro cultivation such as maturation or manipulation of embryos.