Biotechnology Careers Canada
Jobs outlook for the biotechnology sector in Canada is positive, with more than a third of companies here currently experiencing a shortage of skills. However, the Canadian job market is very competitive, so be prepared and understand each of the steps needed to gain employment. As well, finding a job in Canada may be very different than in your home country.
You must look for jobs in the region where you will settle. Therefore, take your time to research job requirements in that region and develop a plan for finding work.
There are many ways through which you can search for architect jobs.
- Broaden your search and include alternative careers and sectors.
- Seek out a mentor in the biotechnology sector – for example, a retired biotechnology professional – who would give you valuable insights and advice, and probably introduce you to their professional network.
- Join business related job-finding or networking clubs through immigrant-serving agencies.
- Attend industry job fairs and regularly check the employment sections of your local newspapers.
- Ask your contacts in the industry for help. Tell them you’re trying to get your name around. If someone well-established in biotech can forward your resume to a potential employer (instead of you forwarding it yourself), that gives you a leg up.
- Some colleges or associations may maintain a job bank or suggest a commercial job site. As well, BioTalent Canada’s website includes a job bank called The PetriDish, where you can post your resume, view job postings and subscribe to job alerts to know about any future opportunities.
- If you have an idea of what companies you’d like to work for, regularly check their company websites for job openings. Depending on the size of the company, it may be helpful to connect with someone you know who works in the company (or someone who knows someone) to help you get your resume fast-tracked to the hiring manager.
Immigrant settlement agencies
Most settlement agencies and other immigrant-serving organizations offer free help with finding job vacancies, updating your resume, writing cover letters, preparing for interviews and understanding what Canadian employers are looking for.
There are many different ways to draft a resume for the biotech sector. However, most professionals working in the industry will agree on a few guidelines that should be followed when writing the ideal resume.
Mobile Application (Rangerapps)