Biotechnology Careers UK
Involves making a micro-organism capable of producing desirable biochemicals not available via chemical synthesis.
Uses of Biotechnology
Traditionally brewing and dairy products, olives.More recently
- Medical and veterinary fields.
- Genetic engineering - improved plants.
- Health care products - antibiotics, vaccines, hormones - fermentation scientist.
- Biochemical products - enzymes, vitamins, flavours, organic solvents.
- Agricultural - nitrogen fixation, composting.
- Metal extraction - copper.
- Sewage and waste treatment - pollutant degradation.
- Energy industry - generating methane fuel from sewage and effluents.
- Bioprocess technology and development
- Fermentation Scientist
- Genetic manipulation and engineering
- Protein engineering
- Downstream processing
- Cell Culture
- microbiology is the main discipline plus biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, immunology, biochemical and chemical engineering. Not a distinct discipline.
- mainly postgraduate/PhD/postdoc. recruitment - not much for first degree people.
There are about 450 biotech companies in the UK employing about 21, 000 employees. UK Companies account for 35% of products (drug development) in Europe & have 41% of new drug development in late stage clinical trials
Biotechnology is a rapidly growing sector with many universities doing research into the area and then setting up their own businesses. An ageing workforce suggests that their may be skills shortages over the next 10 years.
The recession has meant that some projects have been postponed. There has been a farming out of research at Pfizer and SKB to the smaller pharmaceutical and biotech companies, as they can do this more cheaply than in-house. Some of the smaller pharmaceutical companies and scientific services organisations are growing due to larger companies outsourcing to them and also new drug discoveries.
- The Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council Careers Information and Jobs in Biotechnology
- Bioindustry Association list of UK Biotechnology firms plus profiles
- London Biotechnology Network lists firms by sector in London
- BioHealthMatics Good job vacancy site covering Bioinformatics, Health Informatics, Health IT or Health Tech, Biotechnology and Telemedicine Jobs.
University of Kent MRes. and MSc Biotechnology Graduate Destinations
|Senior Associate Scientist (3 graduates)||Pfizer||Cancer Research UK||PhD|
|Scientist||Lilly||UCL||PhD Cell Biology|
|Development Scientist||DNA Res.Inovation Ltd||Research Assistant|
|London Metropolitan Univ.||Lab Technician|
|University of Kent||PhD Biochemistry (7 grads)||PhD Molecular Medicine|
|PhD Biosciences (2)||Nottingham Univ.||PhD Microbiology|
|University of Nottingham||PhD Immunology|
|MPhil. Microbiology||Manchester Univ.||PhD Cellular Biology|
|University of Sheffield||PhD Haemophilia||Bristol||PhD (2)|
|Guy's Hospital||Research Technician/PhD Biotechnology||Reading University||PhD Biochemistry|
|Queen Mary & Westfield||PhD Biomedical Research||Imperial College||PhD Molecular Biology|
Mobile Application (Rangerapps)