Center of Excellence for Shrimp Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (CENTEX SHRIMP)
Centex Shrimp, which is an abbreviation for the Center for Excellence for Shrimp Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. It is a multidisciplinary laboratory that was formed in October 2001 by the amalgamation of research laboratories from the Departments of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Biotechnology of the Faculty of Science and It is jointly supported by the Faculty of Science, Mahidol University and the National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC).
Our vision for the year 2007 is that Thailand will be the world leader in production of healthy & healthful, domesticated shrimp cultivated in biosecure pons with no negative environmental impact. This could be summarized by the motto, “Premium shrimp from paradise”.
The mission statement for Centex Shrimp is "Premier science for premium shrimp". This means that its aim is to carry out academically excellent research on molecular biology and biotechnology of shrimp for application in the production of the highest quality of consumer shrimp.
"Premier Science for Premium Shrimp"
• To serve as a coordination center for cooperative research on shrimp amongst, Mahidol University, BIOTEC and other national and international institutions
• To become a national and regional focus for research and training in molecular biology and biotechnology for the shrimp industry
• To operate in close consultation with the Thai shrimp industry so that our work will be not only academically sound but also relevant to industry needs
Current Research Projects :
Centex research projects are driven by a combination of current needs of the shrimp industry and expertise of the staff. Research priorities are set by urgency of industry needs, and these can change with time. Thus, the interests listed below reflect the situation at the time this webpage was printed.
|Molecular study of shrimp pathogens including viruses, bacteria and parasites|
|Development of diagnostic probes and kits for shrimp diseases|
|Shrimp humoral and cellular defense mechanisms|
|Shrimp genome analysis|
|Shrimp nutritional research particularly for improved reproduction|
|Development and improvement of domesticated, specific pathogen free (SPF) black tiger shrimp|
Research Highlights :
• Development of DNA diagnostic procedures for several viral diseases: White-Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV), Yellow-Head Virus (YHV) and Hepatopancreatic Parvo Virus (HPV) in shrimp. These are now available together with reagents for all these viruses from the Shrimp Biotechnology Business Unit (SBBU) under the Ezee Gene brand.
• Development of nested RT-PCR diagnostic detection for yellow head virus that is now licensed to Farming IntelliGene Technology Corporation, Taiwan.
iPhone 6 plus Case FlaurSaur Non Gmo A Burgeoning Market Vitamin Retailer Magazine Biotechnology Cover Case Fit for iPhone 6 plus