Biotechnology means any technological application that uses biological systems or living organisms to make or modify products or processes for specific use. It refers to the use of microorganisms such as bacteria, yeasts, or biological substances such as enzymes, to perform specific industrial or manufacturing processes. Applications include production of certain drugs, synthetic hormones, and bulk foodstuffs as well as bioconversion of organic waste.
Bio- Technology is concerned with variety of subjects including Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Chemistry and Engineering. Biotechnology has wide areas of application in Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, development of Medicines and Vaccine, treatment of prolonged disease, pollution control and waste management and ecological conservation, energy production and conservation and many more.
What does a Bio Tech Engineer do?
- Bio-Tech Engineers involve in medical processes such as getting organisms to produce new drugs, or using stem cells to regenerate damaged human tissues and re-grow entire organs.
- Biotechnologist involves industrial processes such as the production of new chemicals or the development of new preservative that can be used for food storage.
- Bio- Tech Engineers deal with medical devices, instruments used in hospitals & medical labs.
- Bio Tech Engineers also deal with bioinformatics which involves the use applied mathematics, informatics, statistics, computer science, artificial intelligence, chemistry, and biochemistry
- Biotechnology experts develop a hybrid plants and involves such processes as the development of pest-resistant grains or the accelerated evolution of disease-resistant animals.
What is the future for a Bio Technology graduate?
- Bio Technologist can be employed in pharmaceutical companies, chemical, food processing, agriculture and allied industries. Bio-Tech Engineers can find the opportunities in any of the following category
- Bio-Instrumentation Engineer in the medical instruments manufacturing / maintenance firms
- Clinical Engineer in the hospitals, deal with the develop and maintain computer database of medical instruments and equipment record
- As Orthopedic Bio-Engineer, responsible for the design and development of artificial joints
- Genetic Engineer, in the pharmaceutical & bio-medical companies
- Research scientists or assistants in the Research laboratories working in the area of pharmaceutical, genetic engineering & food processing.