Genetics degree in London
The MSc in Human Molecular Genetics is designed to appeal to both clinical and basic scientists, providing fundamental theoretical and practical training in human molecular genetics, genomics, and advanced molecular and bioinformatic techniques to prepare students for a career in science research.
Six month taught, six month research project. Find out more about the programme structure here.
At least a second class honours degree from a UK university in biochemical sciences, genetics or a related subject. Normally, students on this course have a 2.1 or 1st class undergraduate degree.
- Equivalent overseas qualification.
- Candidates with medical or nursing degress, or with other training backgrounds, can also be very successful on this course.
- Students with English as a second language will require an English qualification to attend this intensive one year MSc course, equivalent to IELTS with an overall score 7 or above and a minimum of 6.5 in all other elements (including Writing and Speaking).
Is this programme for you?
This programme is aimed at students with a good first science degree or medical training with a passion for genetics, who wish to pursue a career in basic science or health-related research.
The programme is designed to prepare students for a career in genetics research, either in human gene function and genetic disease, or molecular approaches to diagnosis, or health care biotechnology. It provides grounding in human genetic theory and methods applied to medical research, with emphasis on molecular techniques and genetic data analysis, to provide a solid basis for subsequent academic or industrial research, or for entry to NHS Genetics training.
Approximately 50% of our students go on to do a PhD, 25% become research assistants/associates, while others go on to jobs in industry or further studies (bioinformatics/ computing, medicine). Typically one or two students every year enter the NHS in clinical genetics training posts.
- Intensive one year training
- Regular interaction with academic staff
- Development of scientific creativity and academic confidence
Life Sciences CourseMate Online Study Tools (with eBook) to Accompany Yashon/Cummings' Human Genetics and Society, 2nd Edition, [Web Access], 1 term (6 months)
Digital Software (Cengage Learning-158940-158940)